The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

7 June 2022

Who remembers Gary Rigney?

Gary Rigney is next to the chap in the blue top

 

It started off with an email from Gary's daughter, Wendy:

"Hi Mr Goerman, My dad, Gary Rigney, used to work for Camp Catering Service and later for SHRM, and Mr Nightingale would come around our place some nights to talk about work with dad and sometimes another gentleman would accompany Mr Nightingale and his name was Mr Robinson. Mr Robinson was a big man and l think his nationality was German (not sure) but I'm also not sure if he worked at CCS or they were just friends, I also can’t recall his first name, but the reason I'm emailing you is because l have been trying to find his daughter Kim for years but to no avail! If you remember a Mr Robinson or could find a employment list of around 1970 to 1974 just to find where they lived prior to coming to Bougainville I would appreciate your time in helping me."

Of course, I remember Gary Rigney: as Maintenance Supervisor he was part of Camp Catering Services' management team - for whom I was office manager and accountant in 1972; click here - that met once a week in Merv Nightingale's office to keep the wheels from falling off what was then the world's biggest catering contract.

Unfortunately, Wendy also has some bad news: "My dad passed of lung cancer in 1989; he was only 50 yrs old. l miss him so much."

Anyone who knew Gary and wants to contact his daughter Wendy through me, please email me at riverbendnelligen[AT]mail.com.