The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

19 June 2010

Brian Barnabas

Hi Peter, My name is Brian Barnabas. I was the Chief Fire Officer on the project working for Bechtel.

I arrived on site late 69 and was there until 72. I can remember a lot of the people on your website by name but find it hard to put a face to many. The only two members of my crew who are mentioned are Wally Kaka and Pat McEvoy. I have not had contact with these guys for many years and it would be nice to contact them again. After leaving the Island and returning to Australia I spent most of my working life in Fire Engineering with a few visits back to Bougainville. I did a lot of work on offshore platforms such as Bass Strait Vic.- North West Shelf W.A.- Barrow Island W.A.- Timor Sea. Also spent a lot of time doing consulting and testing for the petroleum industry. My last job before retirement was as National Projects Manager for Chubb Fire. I now live at the seaside resort of Venus Bay Gippsland Victoria. I often think of my times on the Island and the people I met there. My wife and kids still remember the project although the youngest one who was born at Panguna doesn't remember it. My daughter came across your web site whilst surfing the net and passed it on to me.

It would be nice to keep in touch. Regards Brian Barnabas. barnab@bigpond.com.