The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

19 June 2010

Christine Long

Like many others I have just stumbled across your site. I went to Bougainville as an eleven year old in 1970 with my parents Jim and Glenda Blue and my 5 brothers and sisters. I went to boarding school and later nurses training in Brisbane and returned to get married in 1978. I met my husband Matt Long on the island and we married at the Panguna church with a reception at the Poraka Tavern ( which later burnt down).This was followed with a 3 day honeymoon at Arovo Island. We were the only guests there and so it felt as if we had our own personal Island. I can't remember the name of the manager there at the time, but I do remember him making me my first 'Brandy Alexander' and then (because there was no-one else to drink it) giving me the whole jug to take to the room. I was one very sick young lady on the first night of my honeymoon.

Matt and I remained on Bougainville, living in Arawa ,until 1984 when we move to Thailand and eventually back to Kimbe and then Lae before returning to Brisbane in 1990.

My mother Glenda died in 1984 and my father Jim died in 2006. I have many very happy memories of my years in Bougainville and have many photos stashed away.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Regards
Christine Long ( nee Blue)
chrisl54@bigpond.com