The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

21 March 2012

Derek Gorst emailed from Brisbane:

Hi

I arrived on Bougainville in September 1973 with my wife & 2 boys as Senior Mine Industrial Engineer reporting to John Dunlop. I left in February 1990 a week before the mine closed. In the interim I worked as Senior Industrial Engineer for Ron Kay, Manager Computer Services for Bill Davies, Manager Information Services & Maintenance Services Manager under Paul Piercy. My wife Gill was active in the Little Theater & wrote/directed several plays. She also wrote the Fenella articles in the Bulletin. It was a major part of our life & undoubtedly the best. I still have fond memories of sitting on Loloho beach on Christmas Day eating cold chicken & drinking iced champaign. The trip to Arovo in a "banana" boat filled with cartons of booze, the moon rising over Puk Puk & the water filled with phosphorescence and many many more. We lost all of our photographs in the Brisbane floods so this site is a particular delight to Gill & myself.

Thanks
Derek Gorst
email derekgorst[AT]gmail.com