The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

17 July 2015

Sonya Organ emailed with a question: "I am hoping someone will recognise the men in the photo and help me solve the mystery of the origins of the photo."


 

Hi Peter,

I found this photo amongst my father's belongings. My father was a miner in Broken Hill but he had written on the back of the photo 'Bougainville 1970s'. As far as I know my father never went to Bougainville. I am hoping someone will recognise the men in the photo and help me solve the mystery of the origins of the photo.

Regards
Sonya
sonyao1[AT]bigpond.com

 

to which I replied:

 

Sonya, thanks for the photo but I doubt it was taken on Bougainville. For one thing, the people in it look far too dressed and well-dressed and the company is far too mixed (too many females) to make me think it's from Bougainville. As far as drinking Coca-Cola is concerned, in all my years on Bougainville I never saw any self-respecting construction worker or miner drink that stuff ☺ Anyway, let's see if somebody else can shed some light on it.

Regards
Peter Goerman