The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

23 September 2015

A PNG expat abroad


In the 1983 BBC television drama "An Englishman Abroad", Guy Burgess is portrayed as something like a fish out of water. He is exiled to Moscow, but remains an Englishman through and through.

It made me think of the many PNG expatriates who, having gone there in their younger days, have that experience indelibly engraved on their hearts.

I went from PNG to Burma to Iran to Malaysia to Saudi Arabia to Greece where I must have been the only adult wearing the PNG dress code of long white socks and shorts, and today, almost fifty years later, I still think and speak of Papua New Guinea almost daily and with great affection.

Guy Burgess, despite his treason, remained an Englishman at heart. Many former residents of Papua New Guinea have forever remained PNG expats with a love for that country and its people in their hearts or, as my best mate from my PNG days, Noel Butler, used to say, "My spiritual home will about be New Guinea."

Peter Goerman
Blogmaster