The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

3 February 2016

Roger Arnold emailed from Thailand:

Hi Peter,

Stumbled on your great website, thanks for your effort setting it up. It was like stepping into a time machine reading through it. I was at Loloho from Jan 76 to Jan 77, just one year but it had an influence on the rest of my life, great memories.

I worked on electrical & instrument maintenance of the copper concentrator & ship loading section. I didn’t get far after leaving there, I spent a few years in Singapore, then Lhokseumawe Indonesia, then Kuala Terengganu Malaysia. Then drifted around Africa; Zambia, Skikda & Secunda. I have now lived in Rawai Phuket Thailand for the last 34 years with my wife Sunee, maybe because it’s similar to Bougainville, hot, jungle & lots of coconut trees.

Names I remember from Loloho are Kevin Lynch, Ralph Burger, Peter Jones, Luigi & Stuart Sherratt. I travelled with Stuart Sherratt from London when we first went to work there; we went on safari in Peters land cruiser & did the volcano trip. Stuart’s daughter Catherine made an entry to your site - click here - ; she was born in Bougainville & also has happy memories.

I’ve got a stash of photo’s of Bougainville back in Wales, next time I’m there I’ll send them off to you, they might be a good addition to the website.

Love to hear from anyone who remembers me.


Chok dee.

Roger Arnold.
Roger.sunee[AT]gmail.com