The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

16 October 2013

Steve Kyle emailed from Marybourough

Hi Peter,

My name is Steve Kyle, I live in Maryborough, QLD.

I first heard of Panguna Mine in 1969, and at the beginning of 1970 in an advertisement, for plant operators for Dumez I applied for a position as a 2623 Mercedes dump truck driver and signed a 12 month contract.

After a stopover in Port Moresby we took off in a Fokker for Keita landing in Rabaul. The DC3 left the airport at Rabaul, on its milk run to Keita. Within 4 days of leaving home my plane landed in Keita. We left the airport for an overnight stay at camp?. Because of a land slip up the track they didn’t think we could get up to Panguna. The Landcruiser transported us up the track to the slide.

Steve Kyle
steve.kyle[AT]bigpond.com