The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

14 April 2016

Phil Wilson emailed:

Love the blog. I worked in Bougainville from 1974 to 1977, firstly for Blackwood Hodge and then for Buin Earthmoving.

I still look back at those times as one of the highlights of my life so far, what a blast. I worked on the construction of the road from Morgan Equipment to Tinputz and had a camp on the Pienai River, widened sections of the road between Arawa and Kieta, worked up at Bonis and Dios Plantations and worked on the road from Buin to Kieta.

I met many a character whilst there and have fond memories of the fishing club and the Sports and Social club. I often wonder what happened to many of those guys like Warren Haig "The Watcher", "The Sheriff", Sally Jenkins, Vic Caruana, "Carrots and bananas"', "The Dog" Ian Forrester, Ted Ragowski, "Rags", Wyn Spur as they all liked a cold beer on a hot day.

I would like to go back to the Island one day and see if any of the local blokes I worked with made it through the war as most of them came from the Siwai, Buin area. Such a pity that this beautiful place was ravaged as it was. Hopefully it can recover.

Thanks again for your perseverance over the years. It is great to read about other people's experiences there.

Cheers,
Phil Wilson
email phil_w[AT]live.com.au