The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

17 September 2012

Ricky Hall emailed:

I just found your website and it brought back many fond memories. I spent several years growing up on Bougainville and consider that time to be some of the best years of my life. My Father, Frank Van Kempen worked as an electrician/electrical engineer and also trained the electrical apprentices in the BCL Training Centre. Frank passed away in 1995 after a lengthy battle with lung cancer. I worked on the Chevron operated Gobe Petroleum Project from 1997 to 2000. Several of the PNG national operators were all former apprentices of Frank who he trained at the BCL training centre. I would return to Bougainville tomorrow if the mine was to re-open. I am amazed at the number of people who I have met during my working life who have lived and worked on Bougainville.

I am currently working in Port Hedland, Western Australia responsible for the Safety & Security Management for the Port Hedland Port Authority. While in Port Hedland I have met the following ex-Bougainville people: 1. Rob MALIK 2. Fred BEEL 3. Adam LUKEY I was still at school during my time on Bougainville and was known by the name of Ricky VAN KEMPEN; I have since changed my surname back to HALL, which was my birth name. I went to school with and grew up with the following people on Bougainville;
1. Matthew KENT
2. Mark KOGLIN
3. Claire LOWERY
4. Jillian HAMILTON
5. Gerald MARSHALL
6. Julian BUCKRELL
7. Michael SCHUCK
8. Craig SMITH
9. Peter HATTON
I really miss the good times at Loloho Beach, Arovo Island, the diving & fishing, the Loloho & Panguna Sporting & Social Clubs, etc. If you know the whereabouts or have contact details for any of the above mentioned people please email me.
Regards,
Ricky Hall
Senior Safety & Security Officer
Port Hedland Port Authority
Telephone (08) 9173 0038
Mobile 0407 442 863
email rhall[AT]phpa.com.au