The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

19 June 2010

Brian Schou

Well today I thought I would check out the net, as I did about a year ago and was amazed to find your site . I am pleased to have the chance to email you. In late 1969, I arrived in Bougainville, after arriving in Port Moresby by DC3. That in itself was an experience for me but the trip to Panguna was indeed something else. That road , the land slides, the mud, the bulldozers, the rain, the stuck trucks of Kennelly's waiting for a push it was like a dream I never will forget. I loved the experience. Of course for a twenty one year old recently qualified Diesel Mechanic from N.Z. who had always wanted to try his hand on big equipment , Bougainville really was right up my alley, and I worked at the site for 18 months before deciding it was time open the page of a new chapter in the great life I have had, in wild places, cosmopolitan places and the good luck I have had with my family. Do you remember the removal of Mount Tangye (I think) behind the camp? Pioneer Concrete used it for aggregate. I do have some photos however I do wish I had taken more. Well,I would like to hear from you too!.
Brian
schoue@btinternet.com