The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

19 June 2010

Pete Maleckas

Just found your site courtesy of Rudy Laister and Steve Mcvilly. Having a great time walking down memory lane. I began work at the primary crusher in 1981 and shortly moved down to the coast at Loloho maintenance working under Dick Lukoszek and John Gretton --great to here from you geo. I left bougainville in 1986 and moved into Barney Roger's house in Brackenridge and worked as an electrician at AMP in Brisbane for a year and then moved down to Olympic Dam in South Australia working u/g for Western Mining--I have 2 kids --Dave who was born at Arawa general hospital is now 21 and living in adelaide and Jess who is now 19 and living in Broken Hill with her partner.17 years later I am still here . Sad to see what has become of Bougainville--I had always hoped that the mine would re-open and we could return but probably too old now---maybe as a tourist.

All the best to anybody that recognises my name.