The Die Was Cast - My Journey to New Guinea

News items from Bougainville

The Bougainville Aftermath

For your listening pleasure: TAIM BILONG MASTA

70 years of PIM are now available on the internet - click here

A new online library servicing the Pacific: digitalpasifik.org

RETURN TO TOP OF BLOG

If something on this blog doesn't work, please contact the janitor
Alternatively, contact the Helpdesk

19 June 2010

Willy Herold emailed from Austria:

Willy Herold - click here

 

Hi again,
After browsing this home page for hours I felt I should thank the author. It means much to me to read about my former home and others feel the same it appears. Where can I get a 'management summary' of what happened since 1989 in a fairly unbiased way, the net seems to provide political views so far apart that I cannot follow. As to me: I arrived in Bougainville early 1987 and left mid-1989. I worked for Data Processing (Pink Palace B43). My Boss was a Guy called 'Gunna' at Panguna Hash. Some friends and colleagues were Alan Brims, Myron van der Waerden, Bill Brett, Allan Norton, Jan Hollenberg, Jon Pope, Steve Tull, Con Papamichael, Allan Smith (Bougainville Blues) Lake Arapakis etc. I knew some nurses Agneis FitzGerald and an English Girl, the director of the General Hospital Peter Gibson, the Pharmacist Eeva Nieminen, another Pharmacist Marc. Although I had an SSQ, I continued to run Hash in Panguna with Willy Streeter, Pang Shortarse (Barry Shorthouse) Khunt, Hymen Michael Rickard-Bell and others. The theatre played the Rocky Horror Show then. All fond memories. I liked to hang out at the Cricket Club at the Coastal Club listening to 'Fuzzy Duck' and at the Kieta Sailing and Cruising club. As to the contribution issue: I don't have much in the way of money, but I consider honestly to work as a volunteer on Bougainville. I am prepared to spend a year there if I can help those people I have come to like so much. Any suggestions how to approach this issue? Finally I do have pictures of my time there and some of Mount Bagana, I might be the only solo climber right to the top. It will take a little while to get them together. So long. I will write again.
Willy Herold (Heyu)
E-Mail: willyherold@yahoo.com
http://www.segelschule-neusiedl.at